Tuesday 28 July 2009

Savoury Cheddar & Herb Muffins



Soft, cheesy, fragrant and delicious served warm. Feel free to chop and change with any other optional ingredients listed below :)

*Makes 12 muffins

Combine in a large bowl:
360g plain flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp dried herbs (or finely chopped fresh chives/dill/herb of choice)
Pinch of salt
250g grated cheddar

Combine and add to flour mix slowly until a stiff batter is formed:
250ml milk
1 egg
50g melted butter

Stir in if desired: fried onions, minced garlic, crispy bacon bits, smoked ham, olives, sundried tomatoes, baby spinach leaves, roasted peppers, chopped jalapenos/other chillies, fried button mushrooms etc.

Dollop equally between 12 lined muffin cups. Bake at 170 C for 35 mins until golden brown.

Best enjoyed warm (you can reheat cold muffins by microwaving for about 10-15 seconds).

5 comments:

  1. These look so soft inside, and I love the cheese on top. I bet they'd taste great with chives. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love savoury muffins and breads! I usually add some sundried tomatoes or roasted red peppers to mine but I like the idea of adding fried onions and mushrooms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Carrie and Cookie! Yea I think you can pretty much chuck anything you want in them as long as they go with the cheese/herb combo- I've just added olives and garlic to the list :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to add more milk because it wasn't enough to moisten the flour mixture. Having said that, every recipe on this planet always needs some tweaking depending on location... and soon I will taste the muffins! I'm sure they will be delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope they turned out VF! :) x

    ReplyDelete